Being involved in a car accident can leave you injured, confused, overwhelmed and facing unexpected auto repair bills, medical expenses, lost income, and other costs. Even a seemingly minor fender bender can create headaches and delays. More serious collisions involving major vehicle damage, long-term injuries or fatalities require legal guidance from an experienced car accident lawyer in Scottsdale, AZ and surrounding areas.
Having a knowledgeable attorney on your side after an auto accident can make all the difference in obtaining fair compensation for your losses and holding negligent drivers accountable. This guide explains how a skilled car accident lawyer Scottsdale can help protect your rights after any type of traffic collision.
Investigating the Accident and Gathering Evidence
One of the first things an accomplished attorney will do is conduct a thorough, independent investigation of how the crash happened. This includes visiting the accident scene, taking measurements and photos, analyzing skid marks and debris, checking for road defects, interviewing eyewitnesses, reviewing police reports, and gathering other relevant evidence.
Their in-depth inspection aims to determine precisely how the collision occurred, identify all contributing factors, and pinpoint the party or parties responsible through dangerous driving, inaction, impairment and other forms of negligence. Having an experienced lawyer investigate establishes fault and strengthens your injury claim.
Communicating With Insurance Companies
After a car accident, you’ll need to communicate with one or more insurance carriers, including your insurer and the at-fault driver’s. Your attorney handles all interactions with adjusters on your behalf. They advocate fiercely to help ensure you are treated fairly throughout the claims process and receive full and fair compensation.
Rather than letting insurers take advantage of you during settlement negotiations, your lawyer serves as an assertive intermediary who knows how to maximize payouts. Their tenacity and knowledge of claim valuation help secure optimal results.
Filing Claims, Lawsuits and Legal Paperwork
Pursuing financial recovery after an auto collision involves extensive documentation. Your lawyer adeptly handles necessary filings like submitting claims to insurers, drafting a personal injury lawsuit if warranted, meeting court deadlines, preparing evidence and motions, and providing formal notifications.
Allowing an attorney to manage the required paperwork allows you to stay focused on treatment, recovery and getting your life back on track. Their expertise facilitates the process and strengthens your pursuit of damages.
Explaining Your Legal Rights and Options
The claims process involves many complex laws and regulations you’re likely unfamiliar with. A good car accident lawyer will clearly explain your rights and options at each stage, such as:
- The statute of limitations for taking legal action in Arizona
- Available damages you can pursue such as medical expenses, property damage, lost income, pain and suffering, and more
- Comparative negligence laws and how fault affects claims
- What to expect during settlement negotiations and litigation
- Your options if offered an unfair settlement by insurers
Knowledge helps accident victims make informed choices about how to proceed and empowers them to get the maximum recovery possible.
Representing Your Interests in Court
While many auto accident claims settle out of court, some require formal litigation and a trial to resolve. If your case goes before a judge and jury, your attorney handles all aspects of legal proceedings for you. This includes arguing your case, presenting persuasive evidence, cross-examining witnesses, deliver opening and closing statements, and aggressively pursuing your legal rights. With experienced trial counsel, you get powerful representation.
Calculating Damages and Documenting Your Losses
One of your lawyer’s top priorities is accounting for all accident-related expenses and losses you’ve suffered, from obvious costs like vehicle repair bills and medical expenses to less visible damages like lost earnings, decreased future earning capacity, and costs for household assistance and transportation while recovering.
Additionally, they calculate harder-to-quantify non-economic losses such as emotional distress, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life after injuries, and other forms of general damages you’re entitled to under Arizona law. Maximum recovery hinges on properly documenting your unique damages.
Negotiating With At-Fault Parties and Drivers
In some cases, recovering damages involves negotiations directly with the at-fault driver if they were uninsured/underinsured. Your attorney contacts the liable party or their legal counsel to demand compensation for your losses, backed by evidence liability and damages. Through letters, calls, and even formal settlement conferences, your lawyer fights for payment.
Getting You the Compensation You Deserve
Above all, an accomplished car accident lawyer Scottsdale understands the physical, emotional and financial hardships victims face after a crash. They advocate passionately to help clients obtain fair payment so they can move forward after suffering losses an accident caused. With an attorney fighting for you, you can focus on healing while they handle the legal burden.
Why Hire a Car Accident Lawyer Scottsdale, AZ Collision?
Some collision victims hesitate to retain a lawyer, wondering if legal help is really necessary. There are many important reasons to seek counsel after an auto accident:
- Attorneys use negotiation tactics and litigation to pressure insurers into fair settlements.
- They know how to navigate legal complexities and build strong cases proving fault and damages.
- Lawyers have direct experience handling car insurance claims out of court and through litigation.
- They understand AZ laws relevant to injury compensation and use them to protect clients.
- Law firms have the resources to thoroughly investigate accidents and strengthen claims.
- Attorneys deal directly with adjusters so clients can avoid manipulation and pressure.
- Lawyers handle all documentation and legal filings, saving clients time and hassle.
- They have expertise identifying all parties potentially liable for damages and losses.
- Legal counsel guides clients through the claims process, setting expectations and next steps.
Partnering with the right car accident attorney is the smartest way to maximize compensation after a collision. Their counsel and representation can pay dividends for decades to come.
What Damages Can a Lawyer Help Recover After a Scottsdale Wreck?
In auto accident claims and lawsuits, two broad categories of damages may be pursued under Arizona law:
Economic or Special Damages
These cover quantifiable monetary losses directly caused by the collision, such as:
- Medical expenses like hospital bills, ambulances fees, prescription medications, physical therapy
- Costs to repair or replace your damaged vehicle
- Lost income if injuries prevented you working
- Reduced future earning capacity
- Household assistance expenses while recovering
- Ongoing care like wheelchairs, home healthcare, medical devices
Non-Economic or General Damages
These subjective, non-monetary losses are also compensable:
- Emotional distress like anxiety, depression, PTSD suffered
- Physical pain and mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life if disabilities limit activities
- Disfigurement and scarring, which affect self-esteem
- Loss of companionship if injuries reduce involvement with family
Make sure your lawyer fully documents both categories of damages so you receive full and fair compensation.
What Causes Car Accidents in Scottsdale and Arizona?
Many factors contribute to vehicle collisions on Scottsdale and Arizona roadways. According to statistics from the Arizona Department of Transportation, common causes include:
- Speeding – Excessive speed increases accident frequency and severity. Slowing down prevents crashes.
- Distracted Driving – Driver inattention from cell phones, passengers, controls causes many wrecks. Staying focused on the road is key.
- Driving Under the Influence – Intoxicated driving dramatically raises crash risk. Never drive impaired.
- Reckless Driving – Weaving through traffic, tailgating, street racing and other reckless behaviors often end in tragedy. Patience and prudence reduce risk.
- Fatigued Driving – Drowsy drivers have slow reaction times. Getting adequate rest prevents accidents.
- Unsecured Cargo – Unrestrained objects in a vehicle’s load space can kill in a collision. Secure all cargo to keep it from becoming a projectile.
- Unlicensed Drivers – Unlicensed motorists lack training and oversight. Licensing ensures drivers have at least minimal qualifications.
By partnering with a skilled Scottsdale accident lawyer and making smart choices behind the wheel, you can reduce crash risk and protect yourself financially in case one occurs.
Why Choose Warnock MacKinlay Law for Your Scottsdale Car Accident Case?
If you or a loved one have sustained catastrophic injuries in an auto collision caused by a negligent driver in Scottsdale or anywhere in Arizona, the accomplished injury attorneys at Warnock MacKinlay Law can fight for the compensation you deserve. With offices conveniently located in Scottsdale at 7352 E Camelback Rd Suite 2200, Scottsdale, AZ 85251, our lawyers provide experienced local representation to traffic accident victims.
Some of the benefits of partnering with our firm include:
- We have recovered over $500 million for injury clients throughout our distinguished history.
- Our No Fee Promise means no upfront costs and no fee unless we win your case.
- We have received an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell for ethics and legal skill.
- Our attorneys have decades of experience successfully handling Scottsdale cases like yours.
- We conduct meticulous investigations and devote maximum resources to each client’s case.
- We utilize innovative strategies and technologies for optimum results.
The car accident lawyers at Warnock MacKinlay Law are prepared to aggressively pursue your claim. To discuss your legal options in a free case review, call our Scottsdale office today. Let us ease your burden so you can focus on recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions About Scottsdale Car Accident Lawyers
Q: When should I contact a lawyer after an auto accident?
A: You should speak to an attorney immediately after seeking medical treatment. Your lawyer can start gathering evidence, negotiating with insurers, filing claims properly, advising you of your rights and protecting your interests.
Q: How much does hiring a car accident attorney cost in Scottsdale?
A: Most personal injury firms work on a contingency fee basis, meaning no payment is required upfront. The attorney receives an agreed portion of the final settlement amount, such as 33%, but nothing if no recovery is obtained for you.
Q: Should I speak to the insurance company before calling a lawyer?
A: You should avoid providing any recorded statement to an insurer before consulting an attorney, as it could harm your claim. Let your lawyer handle all communication with insurers.
Q: Can I handle a minor car accident claim myself?
A: While possible, your chances of maximizing compensation are far lower without legal representation. Even after a minor collision, a lawyer can substantially increase your settlement.
Q: How long do I have to file a car accident lawsuit in Arizona?
A: Under statute of limitations laws, you normally have two years from the date of injury to take legal action after a car accident and pursue damages. An attorney can advise you of important deadlines.
Let Us Fight Aggressively For You After a Scottsdale Collision
Don’t go it alone against the insurance companies after suffering losses in a car wreck. The dedicated Arizona legal team at Warnock MacKinlay Law is ready to stand up for injury victims following Scottsdale traffic accidents. Contact us for a free consultation and learn how our attorneys can help. We are committed to helping you obtain maximum compensation so you can move forward. Call today!