Being involved in a car accident can leave you injured, overwhelmed, and facing unexpected expenses for medical bills, vehicle repairs, lost earnings, and other costs. Even minor fender benders create hassles. Serious wrecks resulting in long-term injuries require the help of an accomplished car accident lawyer in Shreveport, LA.
Having an experienced attorney in your corner after an auto collision can make all the difference in obtaining fair compensation and holding negligent drivers accountable. This guide explains how a skilled Car Accident Lawyer Shreveport can protect your rights after any type of traffic accident from parking lot scrapes to high-speed interstate pileups.
Conducting an Independent Investigation of the Crash
One of the first things an effective attorney will do is perform a thorough, independent investigation of how the accident happened. This involves visiting the crash scene, taking measurements and photographs, reviewing skid marks and debris, checking for road defects, interviewing eyewitnesses, analyzing police reports, and collecting other relevant evidence.
Their inspection aims to determine precisely how the collision occurred, identify all contributing factors, and establish who caused the wreck through reckless driving, impairment, speeding, or other negligent actions. A comprehensive investigation helps prove fault and lead to the maximum recovery for victims.
Communicating With Insurance Companies
After an accident, you’ll likely need to communicate with one or more insurance carriers, including your own insurer and the at-fault driver’s. An accomplished attorney handles all interactions with insurance adjusters on your behalf. They advocate vigorously to ensure you are treated fairly throughout the claims process and receive full and fair compensation.
Rather than letting insurers take advantage during settlement negotiations, your lawyer levels the playing field and serves as your representative in fighting for the optimal settlement. Their command of claim valuation and tenacious approach help secure the best payouts.
Filing Claims, Lawsuits and Legal Paperwork
Pursuing financial recovery after a traffic collision involves extensive documentation and paperwork. Your lawyer adeptly handles necessary filings like submitting insurance claims, drafting a personal injury lawsuit if warranted, meeting court deadlines, preparing evidence and motions, and sending required notifications.
Allowing an attorney to manage the paperwork enables you to stay focused on treatment and recovery. Their expertise and diligence strengthens your pursuit of damages.
Explaining Your Legal Rights in Louisiana
The claims process involves many complex statutes, regulations and protocols. An accomplished car accident lawyer Shreveport clearly explains your legal rights under Louisiana law and possible courses of action during each phase, including:
- Time limits for taking legal action after an accident
- Potential damages you can pursue such as medical bills, lost income, property destruction, pain and suffering, etc.
- How Louisiana’s comparative fault rules affect claim liability percentages and payouts
- What to expect during settlement negotiations and potential litigation
- Options if the insurer refuses to offer fair compensation
Understanding the process, laws, and your rights allows you to make fully informed decisions while pursuing your entitled compensation.
Representing Your Interests in Court
While many accident claims settle out of court, some require formal litigation and trial. If your case goes before a judge or jury, your attorney handles all aspects of legal proceedings for you. This includes making persuasive arguments, presenting compelling evidence, cross-examining witnesses, and delivering opening and closing statements. Experienced trial attorneys get results.
Identifying All Potentially Liable Parties
Part of what distinguishes elite car accident lawyers is their ability to identify any and all individuals or entities that may share fault for the collision. This may include the negligent driver, vehicle manufacturers, automotive part suppliers, bars over-serving impaired drivers, contractors responsible for hazardous road conditions, and more. Maximum compensation often depends on assigning broad liability.
Helping You Prioritize Recovery and Healing
Above all, a caring Shreveport accident lawyer understands injuries disrupt your life, health and peace of mind. They work diligently to handle all aspects of your case so you can focus your time and energy on healing, both physically and emotionally. With legal counsel fighting for you, you gain the space to prioritize recovery.
Why Hire a Car Accident Attorney for a Shreveport Collision?
Some accident victims hesitate to retain an attorney, wondering if legal help is really necessary. There are many compelling reasons to seek counsel after any collision:
- Attorneys act as skilled negotiators to demand and obtain maximum settlements from insurers.
- Lawyers thoroughly understand Louisiana negligence laws and use them to prove liability and justify full compensation.
- Law firms have the resources to conduct in-depth crash investigations that individuals simply cannot match.
- Car accident lawyers deal directly with insurance adjusters so clients avoid manipulation.
- They handle all legal filings and paperwork properly in a timely manner.
- Attorneys have experience identifying all liable parties and legal courses of action.
- Lawyers know how to accurately calculate both economic and non-economic damages for maximum recovery.
- Legal counsel guides clients through the often-confusing claims process, setting expectations.
Having an accomplished car accident attorney as an ally is essential for obtaining fair compensation, holding all negligent parties fully accountable, and moving forward after a Shreveport traffic collision.
What Kinds of Damages Can a Lawyer Seek After a Crash?
In auto accident claims and lawsuits in Louisiana, two main categories of damages may be pursued:
Economic or Special Damages
These cover quantifiable monetary losses directly resulting from the collision, including:
- Medical expenses like ER visits, hospital bills, therapy, medications, devices
- Lost income if injuries prevent working for a period of time
- Costs to repair or replace a damaged vehicle
- Future loss of earning capacity if disabilities become permanent
- Ongoing care expenses like nursing, home modifications, transportation
Non-Economic or General Damages
Subjective, non-monetary losses that are still compensable through a claim or lawsuit:
- Emotional distress like fear, anxiety, depression, PTSD experienced
- Physical pain and mental anguish resulting from injuries
- Loss of enjoyment of life if disability reduces involvement in activities
- Disfigurement and scarring affecting self-esteem
- Loss of companionship if injuries disrupt family relationships
Full and fair compensation depends on your lawyer documenting both economic and non-economic damages so you are made whole again.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Shreveport?
Being in shock and injured after an auto collision makes it difficult to know how to proceed properly. An experienced attorney will provide guidance on next steps like:
- Seeking prompt medical care and following all doctors’ treatment recommendations
- Reporting the crash to insurers as required by your policy
- Photographing the accident scene, vehicle damage, injuries, etc.
- Obtaining witness and driver contact details and insurance information
- Keeping medical invoices, auto repair bills, accident reports and other records
- Avoiding providing any recorded statement to an insurer before first consulting your lawyer
- Holding off signing any release or accepting a settlement offer before getting legal advice
Taking the right actions early optimizes the potential value of your car accident insurance claim. Let your lawyer direct you.
Why Choose Wiener, Weiss & Madison for Your Shreveport Case?
If you or someone you care about suffered catastrophic injuries in a traffic collision caused by a reckless driver anywhere in the Shreveport area, the accomplished personal injury attorneys at Wiener, Weiss & Madison can fight for the compensation you deserve. With offices located at 333 Texas St #1810, Shreveport, LA 71101, our lawyers have a proven record of success handling local auto accident cases.
Some of the advantages of partnering with our firm include:
- Our history of obtaining outstanding results and maximum compensation for injured clients.
- Decades of combined experience successfully handling Shreveport and Louisiana accident cases specifically.
- Our meticulous investigations and devotion of substantial resources to build each client’s case.
- We utilize innovative strategies and technologies for optimal verdicts and settlements.
- Our free case review allows prospective clients to discuss their situation.
The dedicated car accident lawyers at Wiener, Weiss & Madison are prepared to aggressively pursue fair compensation for you after a Shreveport traffic crash. To explore your options in a free consultation, contact our office today.
Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accident Lawyer Shreveport
Q: When should I call a Shreveport car accident lawyer after a collision?
A: You should consult an attorney immediately after seeking medical treatment. Your lawyer can start gathering evidence, communicating with insurers, advising you of your rights, and protecting your interests right away.
Q: How much does hiring a Shreveport accident attorney cost?
A: Most firms work on a contingency fee basis, meaning no payment is required upfront. The lawyer receives an agreed percentage of any final settlement, but nothing if no recovery is obtained.
Q: Can I handle a minor accident claim myself?
A: While possible, even a minor collision claim often yields far greater compensation with an experienced attorney negotiating for you and managing legal complexities.
Q: What if I was partially at fault for the car accident?
A: Under Louisiana comparative fault rules, you can still potentially recover reduced damages based on your percentage of fault. An attorney can help minimize your liability.
Q: How long do I have to file an accident claim in Louisiana?
A: Under statute of limitations laws, you typically have one year from the date of a crash to pursue a personal injury claim against liable parties.