Being involved in an auto collision can leave you injured, overwhelmed and facing costly vehicle repairs, medical bills, lost income, and other unexpected expenses. Even minor accidents cause headaches, and serious wrecks resulting in long-term injuries require the help of an accomplished car accident lawyer Sioux Falls SD.
Having an experienced attorney on your side after a traffic crash can make all the difference in obtaining fair compensation and holding negligent drivers accountable. This comprehensive guide explains how a Sioux Falls car accident lawyer can protect your rights after any type of accident from fender benders to high-speed collisions.
Conducting an Independent Investigation of the Crash
One of the first things a skilled attorney will do is perform an in-depth investigation of how the accident happened. This involves visiting the crash scene, taking measurements and photos, reviewing skid marks and debris, checking for road defects, interviewing witnesses, analyzing police reports, and collecting other relevant evidence.
Their inspection aims to determine precisely how the collision occurred, identify all contributing factors, and establish who caused the wreck through dangerous driving, impaired driving, speeding, or other negligent actions. A thorough investigation helps prove fault and lead to the maximum recovery for victims.
Communicating With Insurance Companies
After an accident, you’ll likely need to communicate with one or more insurance carriers, including your own insurer and the at-fault driver’s. An accomplished lawyer handles all interactions with adjusters for you. They advocate aggressively to ensure you are treated fairly throughout the claims process and receive full compensation.
Rather than letting insurers take advantage during settlement negotiations, your attorney levels the playing field and serves as your representative in fighting for fair settlements. Their tenacity and command of claim valuation help secure optimal results.
Filing Claims, Lawsuits and Legal Paperwork
Pursuing compensation after a traffic collision involves extensive documentation and paperwork. Your lawyer adeptly handles necessary filings like submitting insurance claims, drafting a personal injury lawsuit if warranted, meeting court deadlines, preparing evidence and motions, and sending required notifications.
Allowing a legal professional to manage documentation enables you to stay focused on treatment and recovery. Their expertise and diligence strengthens your pursuit of damages.
Explaining Your Legal Rights and Options
The claims process involves many complex statutes, regulations and protocols. A knowledgeable car accident lawyer clearly explains your legal rights and possible courses of action during each phase, including:
- Time limits for taking legal action in South Dakota after an accident
- Potential damages you can pursue such as medical bills, lost income, property destruction, pain and suffering, etc.
- How comparative negligence rules affect claim fault and payout percentages
- What to expect during settlement negotiations and potential litigation
- Options if the insurer refuses to offer fair compensation
Understanding the process and your rights allows you to make fully informed decisions while pursuing your entitled compensation.
Representing Your Interests in Court
While many accident claims settle out of court, some require formal litigation and trial. If your case goes before a judge and jury, your lawyer handles all aspects of legal proceedings for you. This includes making persuasive arguments, presenting compelling evidence, cross-examining witnesses, and delivering opening and closing statements. Experienced trial attorneys get results.
Identifying All Potentially Liable Parties
Part of what distinguishes elite car accident lawyers is their ability to identify any and all individuals or entities that may share fault for the collision. This may include the negligent driver, vehicle manufacturers, automotive part suppliers, bars over-serving impaired drivers, contractors responsible for hazardous road conditions, and more. Maximum compensation often depends on assigning broad liability.
Helping You Prioritize Recovery and Healing
Above all, a caring Sioux Falls accident lawyer understands injuries disrupt your life, health and peace of mind. They work diligently to handle all aspects of your case so you can focus your time and energy on healing, both physically and emotionally. With legal counsel fighting for you, you gain the space to prioritize recovery.
Why Hire a Car Accident Lawyer Sioux Falls SD Wreck?
Some accident victims hesitate to retain legal counsel, wondering if a lawyer is truly needed for their situation. There are compelling reasons to seek representation after any collision:
- Attorneys act as experienced negotiators to demand and obtain maximum settlements from insurers.
- Lawyers thoroughly understand South Dakota negligence laws and use them to prove liability and justify full compensation.
- Law firms have the resources to conduct in-depth crash investigations that individuals simply cannot match.
- Car accident lawyers deal directly with insurance adjusters so clients avoid manipulation.
- They handle all legal filings and paperwork properly in a timely manner.
- Attorneys have experience identifying all liable parties and legal courses of action.
- Lawyers know how to accurately calculate both economic and non-economic damages for maximum recovery.
- Legal counsel guides clients through the often-confusing claims process, setting expectations.
An accomplished car accident attorney serves as your best ally for obtaining fair compensation, holding negligent parties fully accountable, and emerging from a crash as whole as possible.
What Kinds of Damages Can a Lawyer Seek After a Sioux Falls Accident?
In traffic accident claims and lawsuits, two main categories of damages may be pursued under South Dakota law:
Economic or Special Damages
These cover quantifiable monetary losses directly resulting from the collision, including:
- Medical expenses like ER visits, hospital bills, therapy, medications, devices
- Lost income if injuries prevent working for a period of time
- Future loss of earning capacity if disabilities become permanent
- Costs to repair or replace a damaged vehicle
- Ongoing care expenses like nursing, home modifications, transportation
Non-Economic or General Damages
Losses that are subjective yet still compensable through a claim or lawsuit:
- Emotional distress like fear, anxiety, depression, PTSD experienced
- Physical pain and mental anguish resulting from injuries
- Loss of enjoyment of life if disability reduces involvement in activities
- Disfigurement and scarring affecting self-esteem and well-being
- Loss of companionship if injuries disrupt family relationships
Full and fair compensation depends on your attorney fully documenting both economic and non-economic categories of damages so you are made whole again.
What Steps Should I Take After a Car Accident in Sioux Falls?
Being in shock and injured after an auto collision makes it difficult to know how to proceed. A knowledgeable lawyer will provide guidance on proper next steps like:
- Seeking immediate medical care and following all doctors’ treatment recommendations
- Reporting the crash to insurance carriers per policy requirements
- Photographing the accident scene, skid marks, vehicle damage, and your injuries
- Obtaining witness contact information and personal details from other drivers
- Keeping medical invoices, auto repair bills, accident reports, and other documentation
- Avoiding providing a recorded statement to an insurer before discussing with counsel
- Holding off signing any release or accepting a settlement offer before consulting your attorney
Taking the right actions early optimizes the potential value of your insurance claim. Let your lawyer direct you.
Why Hire Johnson Janklow Abdallah for Your Sioux Falls Accident Case?
If you or someone you love has been catastrophically injured in a traffic collision caused by a reckless driver anywhere in the Sioux Falls region, the accomplished personal injury attorneys at Johnson Janklow Abdallah can provide experienced legal counsel. With offices located at 101 S Reid St #307, Sioux Falls, SD 57103, our firm has successfully represented local clients since 1903.
Some of the advantages of partnering with our firm include:
- Our history of delivering outstanding results through settlements and verdicts for injured clients.
- Among few firms in state inducted into Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
- Our lawyers named Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers for excellence in legal service.
- We conduct meticulous investigations and devote substantial resources to prove liability.
- Our accident guides help you make smart choices during the claims process.
- We utilize innovative strategies and technologies for optimal results.
The car accident lawyers at Johnson Janklow Abdallah are ready to aggressively pursue fair compensation for you after a Sioux Falls traffic crash. To discuss your case in a free consultation, contact our office today.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sioux Falls Car Accident Lawyers
Q: When should I call a car accident lawyer in Sioux Falls?
A: You should speak to legal counsel immediately after seeking medical treatment. Your attorney can start gathering evidence, communicating with insurers, advising you of your rights, and protecting your interests right away.
Q: How much does hiring a Sioux Falls accident lawyer cost?
A: Most firms work on a contingency fee basis, meaning no payment is required upfront. The lawyer receives an agreed percentage of any final settlement, but nothing if no recovery is obtained for you.
Q: Can I handle a minor car accident claim myself?
A: While possible, even a minor collision claim often yields far greater compensation with an experienced attorney negotiating on your behalf and handling legal complexities.
Q: What if I was partially at fault for the car accident?
A: Under South Dakota comparative negligence rules, you can still recover damages reduced by your percentage of fault. An attorney can help minimize your liability.
Q: How long do I have to file an accident claim in South Dakota?
A: Under statute of limitations laws, you normally have 3 years from the date of a crash to take legal action and pursue damages against liable parties.