Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic, overwhelming experience. Even a minor fender bender can leave you feeling shaken up and uncertain about what to do next. More serious crashes that cause extensive vehicle damage or bodily injury require the guidance of an experienced car accident lawyer in White Plains NY and throughout Westchester County. Having a knowledgeable attorney by your side after an auto collision can make all the difference in getting fair compensation for your damages and holding negligent drivers fully accountable.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explain how an accomplished Car Accident Lawyer White Plains NY can help protect your rights and maximize your claim after a crash. Whether another vehicle, a commercial truck, a motorcycle, a pedestrian, or a bicycle was involved, you need strong legal representation to pursue your injury claim and obtain the maximum recovery.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Assist After a Collision in White Plains?
A dedicated car accident lawyer handles all aspects of your auto accident case so you can focus on healing and recovering, both physically and mentally. Key services a quality attorney provides include:
Conducting an Independent Investigation
One of the first things an attorney will do is thoroughly investigate how the collision occurred, where fault lies, and what factors contributed to causing the crash. Their inspection of the scene, analysis of police reports, and interviews with witnesses help establish negligence and liability.
Communicating with Insurance Companies
Your lawyer takes over all interactions with insurance carriers involved, including the at-fault driver’s insurer. They serve as your representative in settlement negotiations and make sure adjusters treat you fairly throughout the claims process.
Filing Claims, Lawsuits, and Legal Documents
All necessary paperwork will be prepared and submitted on your behalf, such as insurance claims, demands for compensation from the liable party, and lawsuits if warranted. Your attorney handles these filings properly and on time.
Explaining Your Options and Legal Rights
An attorney educates you on available damages you can pursue, New York laws that apply, steps to take after an accident, timeline for resolution, and your legal rights each step of the way. Knowledge helps you make informed choices.
Representing Your Interests in Court
If a satisfactory settlement isn’t reached through negotiation and your case goes to trial, your lawyer will zealously represent you before a judge and jury. This includes arguing your case, presenting evidence, questioning witnesses, and seeking maximum compensation.
Having an experienced car accident attorney fighting for you improves outcomes substantially.
10 Common Car Accident Injuries Sustained in White Plains Crashes
Auto collisions can lead to a wide array of serious injuries, both seen and unseen. Some common injuries suffered in White Plains wrecks include:
Whiplash is the most common injury, causing neck pain and stiffness when the head jerks suddenly during impact. Headaches, vertigo, shoulder and back pain are also common.
Concussions often result from violent blows to the head. Symptoms like headache, nausea, dizziness, confusion, and memory problems may persist for months.
3. Broken Bones
Fractures of the arms, legs, hands, feet, fingers, toes, ribs, and other bones are frequent when occupants are jolted forcefully on impact.
4. Organ Damage
Collision forces can rupture, puncture, or lacerate internal organs like the spleen, liver, kidneys, and lungs. This often requires surgery and extensive rehabilitation.
5. Spinal Cord Injuries
Discs, vertebrae, and spinal cord tissue are vulnerable in crashes. Partial to full paralysis can result from spinal cord trauma.
6. Knee and Shoulder Injuries
The knee and shoulder joints often sustain tears to cartilage, ligaments, and tendons during the violent motions of a crash. Surgery may be necessary.
7. Internal Bleeding
Blunt impacts can trigger internal bleeding in abdomen, pelvis, and chest. This causes severe pain, organ failure, hemorrhagic shock, and even death if not treated promptly.
8. Herniated Discs
Discs between the vertebrae are prone to bulging, rupturing, or herniating. This puts extreme pressure on spinal nerves, causing debilitating sciatica pain and numbness.
Some accident victims are left with post-traumatic stress disorder. This anxiety disorder causes flashbacks, nightmares, severe anxiety, and fear following a traumatic event.
10. TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury)
A TBI is permanent, disabling damage to the brain sustained in a violent accident. Physical, cognitive, and behavioral impairments result, requiring lifelong treatment.
These examples demonstrate why it’s critical to have a knowledgeable New York car accident attorney assess injuries and guide victims in obtaining care and justice.
Why Hire a Car Accident Lawyer White Plains NY Crash?
Some accident victims hesitate to hire an attorney, wondering if a lawyer is really needed to handle their claim. There are many important benefits of legal representation after a collision:
- Attorneys have direct experience valuing and negotiating injury claims to maximize settlements from insurers.
- They have in-depth understanding of New York negligence laws and use this to prove liability.
- Law firms have the resources to thoroughly investigate crashes and build strong evidence cases.
- Lawyers handle the legal complexities so clients can focus on recovery.
- Attorneys fight aggressively through litigation if fair settlements aren’t offered.
- Legal counsel negotiates payment of both economic and non-economic damages.
- Lawyers deal directly with insurers so clients avoid harassment and pressure.
- They have expertise identifying all potentially liable parties who may owe compensation.
- Attorneys keep the claims process moving forward efficiently from start to finish.
The right car accident lawyer guards your rights, facilitates just compensation, and allows you to give your full energy to healing after an auto collision.
Navigating the Claims Process After a White Plains Accident
Pursuing fair payment for your losses after a car wreck involves a process most citizens are unfamiliar with. A good attorney will guide you through each phase, including:
1. Investigation and Evidence Gathering: Your lawyer will visit the scene, photograph damage, document skid marks, take witness statements, and gather police reports and other relevant evidence to build your case.
2. Determining Fault: Fault will be thoroughly investigated to assign responsibility for the collision based on factors like traffic violations, impairment, distraction, vehicle defects, or other causes.
3. Calculating Damages: Your attorney will meticulously calculate both economic losses like medical bills, property damage, lost income, etc., as well as harder-to-quantify non-economic damages for pain and suffering.
4. Insurance Negotiations: After presenting a demand letter and evidence to insurers, your lawyer will negotiate aggressively with adjusters to push for the full settlement your unique losses entitle you to.
5. Filing a Lawsuit: If insurers won’t be reasonable, your attorney will file a personal injury lawsuit detailing your allegations of negligence, damages, and legal basis for compensation.
6. Discovery: Both sides exchange relevant information through interrogatories, depositions, expert testimony, and other discovery as they build their case.
7. Settlement or Trial: The vast majority of claims settle out of court. But your lawyer will take your case to trial and fight for you there if needed.
8. Payment: Once a settlement is reached or jury verdict awarded, your lawyer will ensure you promptly receive the compensation you are legally owed.
Having an attorney guide you through the process smooths the way to a successful outcome.
Why Choose Cellino Law for Your White Plains Auto Accident Case?
If you or a loved one have sustained catastrophic injuries in a traffic collision caused by a careless driver anywhere in White Plains or throughout Westchester County, the accomplished injury attorneys at Cellino Law can provide experienced legal representation. With convenient offices located at 445 Hamilton Ave Suite 1102, White Plains, NY 10601, our attorneys understand local laws and what accident victims face.
Some of the benefits of partnering with our firm include:
- Our $0 upfront guarantee means no payment until we win compensation for you.
- We have recovered over $2 billion for injury clients throughout our history.
- Our stellar reputation has earned numerous Multi-Million Dollar Advocates honors.
- We conduct relentless investigations to build airtight negligence cases for clients.
- Our CellinoCares program provides extra support services to ease the burden on injury victims.
- Our lawyers have decades of experience successfully handling local cases like yours.
- We utilize the latest technologies and trial strategies to get maximum verdicts and settlements.
The car accident attorneys at Cellino Law are prepared to aggressively pursue your claim. To discuss your case in a free consultation, call our White Plains office today. We can help you win the compensation you need and rightfully deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions About White Plains Car Accident Lawyers
Q: Should I hire a White Plains car accident lawyer or handle my own claim?
A: Retaining legal counsel is strongly advised to maximize your payout. Experienced attorneys have the negotiation skills and litigation experience to get you far more than you could obtain on your own.
Q: How much will hiring a White Plains car accident attorney cost me?
A: Most injury law firms work on a contingency fee basis, meaning no payment is required upfront. The lawyer receives an agreed-upon percentage (often 33%) of any final settlement or award secured for you.
Q: When should I contact a car accident lawyer after a crash?
A: You should consult an attorney as soon as possible after seeking medical treatment. Your lawyer can begin gathering evidence, communicating with insurers, advising you of your rights, and protecting your interests right away.
Q: Can I still get a settlement without a lawyer?
A: It is possible but very challenging to negotiate a fair settlement yourself with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Having legal representation levels the playing field and results in far greater recovery in most cases.
Q: How long do I have to file a car accident claim in New York?
A: Under New York statute of limitations laws, you normally have three years from the date of injury to file a car accident lawsuit seeking damages. An attorney can advise you of important cut-off dates.